The Buyer will handle strategic/tactical decisions and duties for the Purchasing Department. Normal Buying responsibilities will also apply, which are: Responsible to source, negotiate, and purchase for production all assigned commodities and products while focusing on cost reduction, quality standards, and supplier delivery performance. Provide training and mentoring to other associates and/or departments as required.
- Make day-to-day decisions involving the Purchasing Department that are based on the strategic goals set by the Director of Purchasing.
- Researches and sources new products. Works with project management teams and gathers information on new products for research and development.
- Supplies cost accounting information on all new items, price increases, and decreases. Provide management with forecasted industry changes when appropriate.
- Research and evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, selection, service, support, availability, reliability, production and distribution capabilities, and the supplier’s reputation and history.
- Maintains and improves vendor relations to improve consistent quality, cost, and delivery performance.
- May prepare purchase orders including quantities to insure proper material flow on items needed. Expedites purchase order to insure timely delivery.
- Maintains procurement records such as items or services purchased, costs, delivery, product quality or performance, and inventories.
- May discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services with Quality and Plant Manager, users, vendors, and others to determine source of trouble and take corrective action.
- May monitor reject material returns and credits for material and labor when necessary. Works with supervisor and quality assurance to identify problems. Contacts supplier to arrange delivery of replacement material, disposition of rejected material, and credit for material and/or labor. Keeps all necessary personnel updated on arrival of replacement material and disposition of rejected material.
- Works with all other departments to achieve company goals.
- Evaluate and monitor contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and to determine need for changes.
- Confer with staff, users, and vendors to discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services and determine corrective action.
- Offers support, mentoring and training to Buyer I associates
- Facilitate and monitor the consolidation of suppliers
- Monitor and follow applicable laws and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of MRO buying
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to navigate and complete tasks using the purchasing module and the inventory control module.
- Ability to create & maintain spreadsheets, and to file alphabetically and or numerically.
- Effective verbal and written Communication skills
- Ability to use available sources to research requested items, potential suppliers, and costing.
- Ability to Prioritize tasks while meeting deadlines in high-pressure environment
- Effectively handle conflict/problem resolution
- Read, Write and Speak English
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, however, this position will act as a trainer and mentor within their department, as well as other departments as directed.
This job operates in a clerical and shop floor environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Shop floor area is not climate controlled and can have moderate to high noise levels.
Stress involve in meeting daily deadlines of purchasing and other business department request. Operation of office equipment including but not limited to computer, fax, and phone. Other physical demands include standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, lifting and carrying up to 30 pounds, bending, swatting, reaching, twisting and grasping objects.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Occasional Travel may be required
Required Education and Experience
A Bachelors Degree in Supply Chain Management, or related Business, or 3-4 years of related job experience in inventory control, procurement, supply chain and/or purchasing.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
No additional requirements.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
This position is a pathway to Supply Chain Management
Western Industries Plastic Products, LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.